Forum

WTA -- Player's to Watch in 2017  

RSS

ratcliff02
Eminent Member
03/01/2017 12:07 am  

1. 24 year old, Wang Qiang, is one of my favorite Chinese players. 

http://www.wtatennis.com/search/query/qiang%20wang/all/players

More to come....if it's okay with Ricky ?

To Everyone: PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR FAVORITE WTA ONES TO WATCH (and why we should) TO THIS THREAD.....  Thank- you 🙂

Edited: 3 months  ago

ReplyQuoteLikeReport
Ricky
Eminent Member
03/01/2017 12:29 am  

who?

ReplyQuoteLikeReport
ratcliff02
Eminent Member
03/01/2017 1:03 am  

http://www.wtatennis.com/players/player/13622

All you have to remember is  Wang  Qiang. Wang Yafan is good too but Wang Qiang is better. And Wang Qiang did play well last AO. She qualified for the main draw beating the talented Richel Hogenkamp in the final and went on to beat Sloane Stephens in the main draw. Looking forward to seeing what she can do again.

In Shenzhen last year she beat Jo Konta, Vania King, and lost to Aga Radwanska in the quarterfinal. She's set to play Monica Niculescu in the second round Shenzhen later today.  She's reminds me a little of Li Na -- height and style. 

Both in Doha and at US Open 2016,  Wang Qiang knocked out Daria Kasatkina and caught my eye.

ReplyQuoteLikeReport
HoB
 HoB
05/01/2017 11:13 pm  

Hi Ratcliff,

since only Wang Qiang is listed now and you said we should feel free to add: I like Naomi Osaka and Ana Konjuh.

Ok, not as far left-field as your player to watch, as they're already ranked 48 and 47 respectively, but I think both have a shot at the top 20 in 2017. 

I first noticed Osaka when she knocked Elena Svitolina out of the Australian Open last year, she also stole a set of Simona Halep at Roland Garros in the 3rd round. 

Konjuh of course made the quarterfinals of the US Open, but I've been following her since 2014, when she beat Yanina Wickmayer at Wimbledon (not that I'm that big of a Wickmayer fan, but I'm Belgian so that was a noteworthy result here). She apparently has something against Belgians, as this week she beat both Kirsten Flipkens and Wickmayer again to reach the quarterfinals in Auckland - where she plays... Osaka.

Just checked, the match has been played already, but unfortunately Osaka had to retire after two games - hope it's nothing serious so she's fully fit for the AO. Surprised Goerges won from Wozniacki, but great opportunity for Konjuh to reach the final!

ReplyQuoteLikeReport
ratcliff02
Eminent Member
05/01/2017 11:31 pm  

Hello HoB ....

Happy you added Ana Konjuh and Naomi Osaka -- Thanks! Both are exciting players and dangers to the top seeds. Worthy of watching, indeed. 

Here we go then so far:

1. Ana Konjuh

2.Naomi Osaka

3.  and (oh gosh someone help me) is it Wang Qiang or Qiang Wang? I'm always forgetting what name is first and last in Chinese...

*absolutely inviting anyone to add your 'Ones to Watch' in 2017*

HoB, if you are like me, you probably have a lot more you are watching. I'm eager to add more and have to hold myself back a little. Been sorting out which Wang is which and other Chinese players. After AO I'll know more about them. AO is where to watch the Asian and Australian talent!

ReplyQuoteLikeReport

Working

Please Login or Register